Story: Russia puts Meta in list of “Terrorist and Extremists.” ; 12-10-2022;
Russia puts Meta (Facebook and Instagram parent company), in list of “Terrorist and Extremist” organizations;
The move of Russia came as a big blow to the already tarnished reputation of the Mark Zuckerberg led, Meta.
• Russia has added Meta to its list of extremist and terrorist organizations, per Interfax.
• Russia took Facebook to court for its reckless conduct and targeting of Russian people on its social media platform Facebook, earlier this year. Meta's lawyer defended the company by saying that Meta does not target Russian people in any way and is anti Russophobia.
• Lawyer told the court that refusing to block access to content and labelling state-controlled media were not activities that qualified as extremist.
• Meta lost its appeal against the court ruling as well, now it faces a service discontinuation in Russia, of platform like Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp.
• In March, Russia's tech regulator blocked access to Facebook, accusing it of "discrimination" and saying the social-media platform had restricted user access to government-backed news outlets such as Sputnik and Russia Today.
Meta's Future in Russia:
The US based Meta is no good position in Russia as Russia-Ukraine war is going on and the US-Russia are in tussle over each other supremecy, the Meta apps may face a possible ban in Russia.
Just like its platform Facebook faced just a few months back.