Story: Russia possible coup attempt?; 24-06-2023;
Live updates from Moscow, Russia: Prigozhin orders his fighters to turn back from Moscow to avoid bloodshed: reports.
• The Wagner group is preparing to withdraw from the building of the headquarters of the Southern Military District in Rostov-on-Don, a RIA Novosti correspondent reports from the scene.
• "March Of Justice" the Wagner group leader calls its troops moving towards Moscow, not a coup. Russia calls it an "armerd mutiny."
Source: next Monday remains a non-working day in Moscow, a source told RIA Novosti.
Image for reference only
Wagner boss Prigozhin says he has ordered his fighters, who had been advancing on Moscow, to turn around and return to their bases in order to avoid bloodshed.
Prigozhin said his fighters had advanced 200 km (124 miles) towards Moscow in the last 24 hours.
Volodymyr Zelensky tweeted:
Ukraine's president Volodymyr Zelensky tweeted targeting Putin and the top leadership in Russia:
• Mercenary fighters have advanced towards Moscow after seizing a southern city overnight, with Russia’s military firing on them from the air but seemingly incapable of slowing their lightning advance.
Chechen leader offers to help put down Wagner mutiny.
Lukashenko, in agreement with the President of Russia, held talks with Prigozhin.
• Prigozhin accepted Lukashenka's proposal to stop the Wagner movement in Russia and take further steps to de-escalate tensions, the press service of the Belarusian president reports.
• Sale of bus tickets has reportedly been suspended in Rostov, leaving people with limited options to leave the city, as some Wagnerites have stayed in Rostov.
• There is a tense atmosphere near the Astor shopping center in Rostov: shooting is heard, people were dispersed. The Wagnerites are rapidly loading into their armored personnel carriers: Russian Telegram Channel posted.
• About five shots were fired near the headquarters of the Southern Military District in Rostov-on-Don, the fighters of the Wagner PMC asked people to disperse - RIA Novosti correspondent.
• "The situation is difficult," Moscow mayor Sobyanin said in his statement posted on Telegram.
• Sergey Sobyanin the mayor or Moscow asked people to refrain from traveling around the city as much as possible and warned of possible traffic blockages in certain blocks and on certain roads.
In Kolomna near Moscow, the Mityaevsky bridge, which is located 120 km from the capital, was moved away, - media.
• The governor of the Lipetsk region, Igor Artamonov, has confirmed that Wagner is moving "equipment" in the region.
In and Social Media post the Lipetsk governor said "Law enforcement agencies and authorities... are taking all necessary measures to ensure the safety of the population. The situation is under control."
Artamonov also reminded residents that "they are strongly advised not to leave their homes and avoid travelling by any means".
Wagner troops appear to be moving north, in the direction of Moscow, earlier there were reports claiming the group was
seen in the southern city of Rostov-on-Don.
later, reports came that Wagner troops were in Voronezh, 560km (354 miles) north.
Why conflict started:
• Russia orders arrest of Wagner leader.
• President Putin has spoken for the first time since the Wagner mercenary group vowed to topple Russia's military leadership.
• In an address, he urged the consolidation of all forces and said the actions were "a betrayal" and "a knife in the back of our people".
• Policemen in bulletproof vests carrying machine guns are standing at the exit and entrance to the Rostov M4 highway:Russian media.
A coup possibility in Russia?:
This is very early development and some experts are eyeing the developments as a possible foundation laying for a coup attempt while others denies that it is a coup.
The Wagner group is claiming to have taken control of all military facilities in the southern city of Rostov-on-Don, Russian official though denies any such takeover and claim that everything is under control and military facilities are working as normal.
Rostov has played a key role since Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.
Some reports suggest Wagner has taken sites in Voronezh (further north) as well.
The city lies halfway between Rostov and the capital Moscow, and is a major railway hub.
We will update this page as soon as any further news surface on the same, so do follow us at various social media platforms (we post updates with a link) at @dedaandsons, or just click the link below to our social handles: